Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Weekend in Bogota

The Salt Catherdal
On Saturday, we went to the “Salt Catherdral of Zipaquira”. It’s an underground Church built into the salt mines. Inside, they have the Stations of the Cross, alter, pews, statues, and salt crystals! It was pretty cool. I don’t think this is the original salt church as I think I read that it caved in or something and this one was carved out again sometime in the 1900s (mid????).

This picture of Maggie is too cute! And no, she is not at the bottom of a deep whole. She's just "resting"





Surprisingly, Maggie and Max actually made it through a 45 minute walking tour in the dark caverns. I think they enjoyed the obstacle course outside more….




That night I went out to dinner with Mike and Chelle, and their British attaché counterparts in Bogota. We had a fabulous meal at a french brassiere (more steak) then went out and did a little bar hopping. What night of bar hopping in my family doesn’t include an Irish bar …no matter what country you are in? I am not sure how, but apparently we stood out as Americans and two guys from Philly (yes, Philly), one of whom works in telecom (yes, for a Cisco “competitor") introduced themselves and forced (YES, FORCED) me to try the Colombia version of grapa, Aguardiente (??). Why do ALL cultures need to have a terrible, black licorice tasting liquor as an after dinner drink. yuck.

No comments: